1. Abstinence is defined as refraining from intercourse.
2. Abstainers outnumber people choosing to have intercourse in the United States until age 15.
In all, 13% of women 30 to 34 years old have never had sex. The goal of abstinence is to avoid sexually transmitted diseases. Abstinence should be seriously discussed with adolescents. Adolescents should plan on how to say “No” to intercourse.
7. High-pressure sexual situations should be avoided. “No” should be said clearly.
1. Mechanism: withdrawal of the penis from the vagina before ejaculation
2. Effectiveness: 4% failure rate for perfect use; 19% failure in typical use
a. There are no costs, devices, or chemicals.
b. This is a backup method that is always available.
c. Only 2% of women use this method.
a. The excitement is interrupted.
b. The method relies on self-control.
c. The partners are not protected from transmission of sexually transmitted diseases before ejaculation.