Amenorrhea is supressed menstruation during 6 months or more in woman of childbearing potential (16 to 45 years). Amenorrhea may be a sign of gynecological, neurological and endocrine diseases. Amenorrhea should be considered as a normal physiological state in the following cases: during pregnancy, lactation, prior to puberty as well as after menopause (after age of 45). In all other cases, amenorrhea is the pathology.
What are the forms of Amenorrhea?
- Primary amenorrhea – no signs of the puberty and menstruation in girls at the age of 14 or presence of the puberty signs (breast enlargement, growth of pubic hair), but absence of menstrual periods before the age of 16.
- Secondary amenorrhea – ischomenia (in women with regular menstrual period) during more than 6 months.
What are the causes of Amenorrhea?
The causes of Amenorrhea are the following:
– pituitary, hypothalamus and brain dysfunction, i.e. cycle links (that control menstrual cycle) in the pituitary-hypothalamic system are broken (hypothalamus-pituitary-ovaries-uterus);
– elytrocleisis, uterine cavity adherence are the causes of false secondary amenorrhea;
– heavy physical activity, in particular, it is the disease of professional athletes;
– thyroid body diseases: hypothyroidism, thyrotoxicosis;
– anatomical abnormalities of the sexual organs;
– ovarian disease with endocrine disorders;
– psychological problems, severe stress;
– improper feeding;
– pituitary tumor;
– genetic abnormalities.
What is the treatment of Amenorrhoea?
One of the effective methods of amenorrhoea treatment is use the drugs that inhibit the secretion of prolactin. The medication Parlodel is powerful medication that treats amenorrhea (accompanied and unaccompanied by galactorrhea) quickly and effectively.